Carrie Dougherty, MD, is an associate professor of Neurology at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital and the program director for MedStar Georgetown’s Headache Medicine Fellowship Program. She is board certified in neurology and headache medicine and is a fellow of the American Headache Society.
At the MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Headache Center, Dr. Dougherty uses progressive approaches to treat headache and related pain conditions including migraine, occipital neuralgia, post-traumatic headache, cluster headache and tension headache. Dr. Dougherty and her colleagues at the Headache Center collaborate with MedStar Georgetown’s physical therapists, interventional pain management specialists, pain psychologists, and with other departments focused on evaluating and treating pain symptoms.
One important focus for the MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Headache Center is that Dr. Dougherty actively supports is educating patients their families that migraine is not “just a bad headache.” It is a neurologic disease.
Dr. Dougherty’s Philosophy of Care
Migraine myths and stigmas are added burdens for people who suffer from migraines. For example, people with migraines may be perceived as making excuses for not working or for missing activities, or as lazy. Many people don’t understand that migraine symptoms can be unrelenting and severely disabling.
At the MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Headache Center I work hard with my colleagues to try and raise awareness about migraine as an inherited neurologic disease. I want my patients to feel empowered and learning about their condition helps them feel more in control. I educate them about migraine, treatment options and lifestyle factors that may contribute to migraines. I also help my patients understand that treatments aren’t always limited to medication. We work as a team to explore all our options for migraine management. I am very open to my patients’ interests and suggestions for managing migraine symptoms.
Dr. Dougherty’s Publications/Presentations
- Neck Tongue Syndrome. Current Pain and Headache Reports, 2016.
- Emergency and inpatient treatment of migraine: An American Headache Society Survey. British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research, 2014.
- Occipital neuralgia. Current Pain and Headache Reports, 2014.
- Providing care for patients with chronic migraine: Diagnosis, treatment and management. Pain Practice, 2014.
- OnabotulinumtoxinA in the treatment of migraine headache. Techniques in Regional Anesthesia & Pain Management, 2012.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Neurology
- Medical School: Indiana University School of Medicine
- Internship Program: Evanston Hospital
- Residency Program: MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- Internship Program: McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
- Fellowship Program: Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
- AETNA - Aetna Innovations: HMO & EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Choice Fund PPO
- AETNA - Open POS II
- AETNA - Open EPO Plus
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - POS OA & OA Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Compass (HMO)
- AETNA - Aetna Elect Choice/ EPO (Aetna Health Fund) Innovation Health: Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Quality Point of Service (POS)
- AETNA - Aetna USAccess (POS)
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Open Network Only Plus
- AETNA - Innovation Health: POS Plus
- AETNA - Aetna Student Health Insurance
- AETNA - Innovation Health: PPO
- AETNA - Innovation Health: Indemnity
- AETNA - Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO Plans
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS BlueChoice HMO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Blue Choice Opt Out Plus Open Access (POS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Point of Service Plan (MPOS)
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Federal Employee Program (Std. & Basic PPO)
- CAREFIRST - HealthyBlue PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS Maryland Indemnity or PPO
- CAREFIRST - CFBCBS (NCA) Indemnity
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA HMO & Network (HMO)
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA POS/Network POS
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - Great-West Healthcare POS/CIGNA
- CIGNA HEALTH CARE - CIGNA Indemnity
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care of Virginia
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry of Delaware HMO/PPO
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - First Health PPO
- FIRST HEALTH (NOW COVENTRY) - FIRST HEALTH
- TRICARE - Tricare Prime
- TRICARE - Tricare Standard
- TRICARE - Tricare Extra (Indemnity)
- TRICARE - Tricare for Life (Medicare Supplemental Plan)
- MEDSTAR FAMILY CHOICE - MedStar Family Choice - Maryland Health Choice
- MEDSTAR SELECT - MedStar Select (MedStar Associates' Plan)
- MEDSTAR MEDICARE CHOICE - MedStar Medicare Choice
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Core Essential (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select HMO - EPO/NPP
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Select Plus (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Choice Plus
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Student Resources
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - M.D. IPA Preferred (POS)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Optimum Choice Preferred (POS) & OCI Direct (HMO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - Mamsi Life & Health (Indem./PPO)
- AETNA - Aetna Worker's Compensation Network
- COVENTRY HEALTH NETWORK - Coventry Health Care National Network PPO
- CAREFIRST - Blue Choice Advantage & Healthy Blue (HMO, POS)
- PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS, INC. (PHCS) - Private Health Care Systems (PHCS) (PPO)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - United Healthcare Options (PPO) (includes Empire PPO, GEHA, Compass Rose)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE - OneNet PPO, Inc.